Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Reflection of AED 200

1.       What were you expectations for this course and where they met?
As noted in my original post, my expectations were that I'd have a better appreciation for the work and thought process of the artist as s/he develops a work of art, and be able to look at a work and notice/understand details that I didn't before. These expectations were definitely met.  I think it’s fair to say that I’ll never look at art the same way again, now that I have at least a basic understanding of elements, principles, and methods of interpretation.

2.       Now that you've been through this course, what is art? How would you define it now compared to your initial posting?
In my initial posting I said, “I find art hard to define. I think visual art involves creativity and interpretation, not just copying. It's intended to provoke some kind of emotion.”
I’m not sure I’m any closer to a firm definition of visual art. I think most works of art are designed to evoke an emotion; however, I think others try to appeal more to the critical thinking part of the brain. Still others I think are primarily intended to record or commemorate, like formal portraits.

3.       Who was your favorite artist in your original posting and who is your favorite visual artist now? If there is a difference, why do you think so? If you have the same favorite artist, why do you think so?
I mentioned Van Gogh and Hiroshige in my original post and they are still among my favorites now. The assignments gave me the opportunity to rediscover some artists I’d been introduced to in the past, like Georgia O’Keeffe and Charles Burchfield. I think I still especially like Van Gogh and Hiroshige because now I can appreciate their use of the elements and principles of art. I also have a better understanding as to how their works were influenced by others, and the influences these artists had on other artists.

4.       Now that you've completed this course, how do you feel about taking an online course? Is your answer the same as it was in your first posting? How is it the same or different?

As I noted in my initial posting, I’ve taken a fair number of online courses. I don’t feel much differently after completing this one – I like the flexibility of online, even though it lacks the interaction of face-to-face courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment