Thursday, August 11, 2016

Self Portrait
1.       Why did you select the inspiration pieces?

I selected Frida Kahlo’s Self-Portrait With Braid (1941), Berthe Morisot’ Self Portrait (1885), and Annie Liebowitz’s Self Portrait (unknown). I wanted to concentrate on the work of women artists. I was looking for portraits of grown women, not young girls or old women, who were looking directly at the viewer. I also wanted different styles represented, including at least 1 photographer, from somewhat different time periods. I knew that Frida Kahlo was especially known for her self-portraits, so I wanted to include one of her works – I think in this one she even has a hint of a smile.



1.       Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
I wanted to do the best job I could and pencil and paper are what I feel most comfortable using.

2.       What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
I wanted a more naturalistic rendition. I think the biggest challenge I had was trying to get proportions that were realistic enough that the portrait actually looked like me. I feel my attempts at drawing always look like a child’s drawing. Doing multiple attempts helped me to experiment with different values, proportions, etc and improve the quality of the work.



1.       How does this piece represent you?
I noticed that self-portraits often have a very serious facial expression – while I’m a serious person I think I’m also generally a contented person and I wanted that to show in the self-portrait. Two of the self-portraits I chose include the artist with something related to their work/art. Since I teach and have had a life-long love of books, I included a book in my self-portrait.

2.       What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
As I noted above, I was trying to get a naturalistic piece, so I was striving for natural proportions in the elements of my face. As a monochromatic piece, I relied on lines and values to create the elements of my face – values for cheekbones, for example, and lines to give some texture to my hair.

3.       Did you enjoy working on this project?
So-so. It’s something I’ve never done before, but I tend to be a perfectionist and I’m very aware of my limitations in trying to create a work of art.

4.       What do you think of your final artwork?
It’s certainly better than my first effort – the biggest thing I notice is that I made my face too long and the proportions of my eyes are off. But I think I did a better job with this effort playing with values to create cheekbones, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment